Thursday, July 07, 2011

The Trials of the Artist

Delilah Smith

You would think that painting the small daily paintings for Art Prize would be challenge enough but getting ready for it is even more of a challenge.

Robin said...

AWESOME! So only 260 of your paintings--does that mean the others sold??


To answer Robin's Questions: My original proposal was to have 365 painting on display at art prize, a year of daily painting. The display would have been 20 feet long and 5 feet high. With 1582 Artist participating in this even obtain a venue to display my work became problematic.
There was lots of out side space available like the lovely Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park .
A large wall for display was limited.Part of what make ArtPrize so interesting is that the art is displayed in building through out the town. If you think you are going to make a quick trip to Grand Rapids and see it all in a Day you will need to put on your running shoes.

I had lots of sorry we would love to have your work but do not have enough wall space for it. So I had to get creative think outside the box and take a leap of faith that I could do what I purpose with a small tweak in the exhibition plan.

I change the proposal to display on a free standing 10 feet long display where the small painting would be displayed on both sides. I changed the number to 260 leaving out weekends and helping to downsize the display.

As an artist you must be flexible an able to change as needed, if at all possible. It also helped for the sold paintings which I have been painting extras for sold works and I am still painting. If you follow my daily painters blog, Painting of the Day, you will see many of the paintings that have been painted since September 2010 through September 2011 at the show. All paintings will be in 5x7, 7x5 size like you see ,at the top of today's post. The paintings will be painted in oils, if you follow my Art on Paper blog none of those works will be displayed. There will be 260 of them. There are eight paintings shown at the top of today's post so take 32 times it and you get an idea of the size of this project. I will see you at ArtPrize 2011 God willing and the artist stays healthy.

" POST YOUR OPINIONS IN THE COMMENTS" or email me at delilah@artbydelilah.comHome Page Art by Delilah = http://www.artbydelilah.com

No comments: