Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Thought and Observations on being an Artist




Thoughts and Observations on being an Artist

Sometimes when you look at that blank canvas it can be overwhelming, where to start,what idea,and nothing is there. You are as blank as the canvas.

Where do I do when the well seems dry? For me a run or yoga are always good to get the blood going to the mind and wake it up.

Here are a few ideas for you:

1. Keep and idea journal
2. Keep folders of pictures
3. find ideas and great art on pinterest
4.Don't ever wait for inspiration, just do it
5. Have a daily routine, it really works. When I started doing a small daily painting it was a difficult task but it became one of the best thing I ever did for myself as an artist. The routine of finishing a painting everyday forced me to become organized and prepared.
6.Venture outside of your comfort zone, be a rebel spirit.
7. Take notes on your Iphone when ideas come to you.





Shades of Gray,birds
Shades of Gray,birds, painting by Delilah Smith
About This Painting: Last year early on a rainy morning I stopped at a very visible street light when I was taken away at how the colors of light looked against the dreary gray of the sky. I knew right then that I would paint that light against the gray of the sky because it is stuck in my head. 

When the light turned and I was just about to head off on a day of to do's ,I looked to the right and as far as I could see into the gray mist of the morning rain  a line of birds just sitting there dripping in the light morning rain waiting. I knew that I would paint those birds again and again because they also became stuck there in that foggy place in my head where images sleep and magic happens right there tucked away for an artist.
Shades of Gray
12x9 inch watercolor on 140 lb watercolor paper
Media: watercolor
Size: 9 in X 12 in (22.9 cm X 30.5 cm)
Price: $35 USD
How to Purchase:


" POST YOUR OPINIONS IN THE COMMENTS" or email me at delilah@artbydelilah.com All work © 2006-2014

No comments: