Sunday, January 24, 2016

Be a Risk Taker

"Every good painter paints what he is." Jackson Pollock"

Take a risk, get out of your comfort zone to make a living as an artist you must be a risk taker.

Most artist are not skilled in all areas of Art Business, yes I said business. You must think of your art as a business, here are some of the skills you will need to develop if you do not already have them:

1. Accounting
Good book keeping is a must. I know to many artist that have no idea on how much cost is involved in the sale of their art. They are just so excited about selling something they never consider the canvas cost more then what they sold it for.

2.Marketing
Selling yourself and your art, just because you made it and its great truly great doesn't mean anyone will ever see it.

3. Tax preperation
You will need to keep good monthly expense and sales records whether you prepare your taxes or someone else does. Become familiar with what are legal  deductions and what are not.

4. Sales
This includes selling and pricing your work.

5.Planning
Planing your studio,yearly expenses,shows,goals,education,marketing and much more. I know when I first started I had no idea that in order to get into an art fair  you had to apply months in advance. I also had no idea of the cost to do these shows. Start your research now.

When it comes to marketing artist have so many excuses as to why they just can not do it.
Here are a few:

1. I still work at a full time job
2.I don't know how to price my work
3.I'm really shy
4. It sounds like bragging to talk about my own work
5. The art market is is full
6. I don't have business abilities
7. True artist are not in it for the money

If you believe any of these you will get nowhere. To make a living as an artist you must be a risk taker.

Be prepared to take rejection it's part of life. Just keep trying and you will find your niche.

As an artist you have two jobs: 1.Creating wonderful amazing art and 2. Marketing your art.

So start today with a plan and make some amazing art.











 POST YOUR OPINIONS IN THE COMMENTS" or email me at delilah@artbydelilah.comHome Page Art by Delilah = http://www.artbydelilah.com

No comments: