Monday, January 27, 2014

Tone your Canvas, then paint.

Start with a toned ground. It can be grey, brown, red or whatever, and it can be wet or dry. When you prime your canvas with a colored ground, you won't have to fight the white.

 Leave the fighting of white to the watercolorists. This way, there will be a significant tone on all parts of your canvas--happy accidents or paucities will occur, and the ground becomes part of the overall effect.

It's nice to see a bit of it peek out on the canvas.

Typical colors used as a ground are ochre, sienna, burnt umber and neutral grays.

I like to use terra rosa. Try different tints and see if you fall in love with a special color.

I often tone my canvas for the next day or week at the end of the day using up little bits of left over colors from my pallet.


" POST YOUR OPINIONS IN THE COMMENTS" or email me at delilah@artbydelilah.com

No comments: