Monday, February 07, 2011

Establishing Value in an oil painting.

Starting with a white canvas.One of the most important aspects of a painting is value and contrast.

Defining value in an oil painting is easier on a tinted canvas. The initial layer of paint can serve as a base for painting or just as a point to establish values later in the painting. Here I have uses a light wash of turpentine and burnt umber mixed with a little virdian


This will help serve as a base guide not as integral background element. The above background base will be used on a quick still life. I also use this method of toning a background when I Plien Air painting.

Sometimes at the end of the day when I have left over paint I will paint background under painting to be used later. when I do this I like to put on several coats of paint, let each layer dry then sanding between the layers. This then will be a very important part of that panting.

See what I paint on this. More tomorrow.


The elevator to success is out of order. You'll have to use the stairs... one step at a time. – Joe Girard


" POST YOUR OPINIONS IN THE COMMENTS" or email me at delilah@artbydelilah.comHome Page Art by Delilah = http://www.artbydelilah.com

No comments: